Monday, May 30, 2011

Inspiration: The Empress's Bedroom

Picking up where I left off in Part one of the Bedroom Inspiration series I'm going to look at how something so fantastic and grand as the Empress's Bedroom in the Grand Trianon at Versailles can be the inspirational starting point for a gorgeous and liveable bedroom in anyone's home.

I had the pleasure of visiting Versailles last year while in France for Maison&Objet and one of the many and fabulous bedrooms in the Grand Trianon has stayed with me ever since.

So today I've put together a little story board with some pieces that can be used not to re-create the Empress's Bedroom, but that can bring the feel and style of it into your home. I'm going to keep the colour scheme of the original but change the placement of the colours into something a little easier to live with. Re-gilding the bed after denting it with the vacuum cleaner would be a total pain so I'll stick to accents for the gold, make ivory the main focus and keep the gorgeous hot pink to a few pieces on the bed.



Starting with the top centre photo I've used the Alyce head board in Loft Alps. It's a modified wing back freestanding headboard with a slight curve at the top and very light button tufting. The Alyce has a softness from it's curvy lines yet is still clean and contemporary so it fits in any room. The soft chenille fabric has a slight shine that gives it a bit of luxury.

The gold tone sunburst mirror is a design classic and gives the room a bit of the glitter that is requisite for a room inspired by Versailles.

I've gone with Bella Notte's Colette Floral in Champagne for the duvet cover and shams. It's a gorgeous soft and shiny jacquard that is as comfy to sleep with as it is beautiful. Bella makes it using both sides of the fabric so one side shows more gold and the other more white, which means that you can add or subtract a bit of the glam gold depending on your mood!

I've gone with Scramble Fuchsia by Pine Cone Hill for the hot, hot pink. I love the pink so I'd go with three (for a queen) or four (for a king) Euro's and the coverlet. I would layer the coverlet over a sheet set done in a soft ivory, but under the duvet. That way the pink can be covered or revealed depending on how little or much pop was required.

Next up I've added some real glam in the form of a mirrored dresser. This one has slightly antiqued mirroring that shows slightly gold. It's a great piece to add the gold tone sparkle required without going overboard. Mirrored furniture is also great for adding light and the impression of space to a smaller room.

Lastly I've got the gold and crystal chandelier. This is one of the pieces in the room that you can save on by buying a petite and restrained version or go big on with a gold and crystal extravaganza. In the background of the chandelier image I've put in a lovely pale aqua green with a touch of grey in it. It's a great choice for the wall colour as it will cool the whole palette and give the room a nice modern edge.

For more information about the Empress's Bedroom please visit the official Chateau de Versailles website.

1 comment:

The Empress said...

Beautiful !!!!! I love it !!